A creamy and light pumpkin pie that isn’t filled with mass produced flavor is a winner for me. Often times I bite into a pie and the taste of chemicals resounds so well, and believe me, that isn’t an ideal taste for me. With that in mind, I wanted to bake a homemade pie that tasted fresh and also tastes delicious!
I used a homemade pumpkin pie filling and added the additional ingredients mentioned in Chef John’s Pumpkin Pie recipe and believe me, you will love this recipe!! Very few ingredients needed in this baby and the mixing of the ingredients are fast. Now, let me say, I did not make a fresh pie crust in this recipe, so I cheated a little bit and purchased a Ready Crust Graham Cracker Pie Crust from Keebler. I am sure later down the line I will be making a pumpkin pie from scratch to its entirety.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook: 45 minutes
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree (fresh homemade pumpkin puree)
3 egg yolks
1 large egg
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon fine salt
¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon Chinese 5-spice powder
1 9-inch unbaked pie crust (pie crust from scratch)
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- In a bowl, whisk together pumpkin puree, egg yolks, and egg until smooth. Add sweetened condensed milk, cinnamon, ginger, salt, nutmeg, and Chinese 5-spice powder. Whisk well until all ingredients are combined.
- Lay unbaked pie crust in a 9-inch pie plate and crimp edges (if using a fresh crust).
- Pour filling over the pie crust (store bought or fresh) and lightly tap the work surface of the pie to release any air bubbles (drop the pie lightly on a countertop a couple times).
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Then reduce the heat to 350°F (175°C) and bake until the middle is set, roughly for 30-40 minutes. Use a pairing knife or toothpick to insert in pie filling to be sure the pie is fully baked (fully baked, the toothpick or pairing knife is clean, free of any filling stuck on it).
- Cool completely before serving. Add some whip cream and sprinkle some cinnamon to seal the deal!!